Monday, June 13, 2011

Reviewed - The Civil Wars with James Vincent McMorrow

Anthology, San Diego, CA

Last night I heard three of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard in concert. And they were all in the same show! I had the pleasure of catching The Civil Wars in concert at the intimate Anthology venue. But first, and definitely not least, James Vincent McMorrow took the stage to open for the Nashville-based duo. Running through most of his debut album, Early In The Morning (Buy on Amazon), McMorrow kept the show simple with just him and his guitar. His uniquely beautiful voice hushed the crowd and left them in awe. I didn't think it could get much better until he closed with an incredible, completely unplugged version of "If I Had A Boat".

While nobody in the audience wanted to see McMorrow leave the stage, Joy Williams and John Paul White of The Civil Wars won the hearts of the audience after singing their first word. With voices that McMorrow described as being "genetically modified to go together," their harmonies were out of this world. The two were meant to sing together, putting on a completely flawless show. They played nearly all their songs, and even put their own twist on incredible covers of "You Are My Sunshine," "I Want You Back," and "Billie Jean". If you have the chance to see this show live, you will not regret it. They will tear the venue down. Buy their album, Barton Hollow here.




The Civil Wars-"I've Got This Friend"

James Vincent McMorrow-"If I Had A Boat"

No comments:

Post a Comment